Steps to install GeoTrust SSL Certificate on Apache server
Before Installing SSL Certificate please ensure following processes have been completed:
- Buy/renew GeoTrust SSL Certificate
- Generate CSR with SHA-2 algorithm
- Save the CSR & Private key file on your server
- Apply for SSL Certificate Issuance
- Submit SSL issuance Documents required by GeoTrust
Step 1: Store GeoTrust SSL Certificate Files
After completion of order process when you apply for your SSL Certificate issuance, GeoTrust team will verify the submitted documents and then they will send your SSL certificate via email. Check your inbox, download the certificate zip file and extract it on your server directory (for Example /usr/local/ssl/crt/).
Step 2: Download GeoTrust Intermediate Certificate bundle files
Visit here to download the GeoTrust Intermediate SSL Certificate bundle files. Select your certificate type and click over it. You will redirect to bundle files.
You can either download an intermediate file by clicking over the file or copy the encrypted content paste it on any text editor and save the file as “intermediate.crt”.
Step 3: Rename SSL Certificate file name
Your SSL certificate is store on /usr/local/ssl/crt/ directory; here you need to rename the SSL certificate file with “cert.crt”.
Step 4: Server Configuration
To install GeoTrust SSL Certificate successfully on your server, you need to update your httpd.conf file.
- conf file will be located on your virtual host setting, open it using any text editor.
- conf file must contain following 3 directives, if they are not present in your file please add them.
SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/ssl/crt/public.crt SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/ssl/private/private.key SSLCertificateChainFile /usr/local/ssl/crt/intermediate.crt
- If you are using an older version of Apache Server then instead of SSLCertificateChainFile use SSLCertificateFiles directive.
SSLCertificateFile directive will tell Apache where to find the SSL certificate file.
SSLCertificatekeyFile directive shows where the private key is located.
SSLCertificateChainFile directive displays the location of an intermediate certificate
- Save the httpd.conf file with the help for following Apache Script and then restart it.
apachectl stop apachectl startssl
- Restart your Apache Server now.
- GeoTrust SSL Certificate is now installed on Apache server.